- As part of Vietnam’s efforts to deepen cooperation with various states, Industrialist N.S. Srinivasa Murthy based in Bengaluru has been appointed as Honorary Consul General of Vietnam for Karnataka.
- Mr. Murthy is the owner and Managing partner of N. K. Subbiah Setty & Sons which is into manufacture of agarbattis (incense sticks) since 1932.
- “He is the first honorary consul general of Vietnam from India and the 19th across the world. He is the third Consul General to be appointed globally this year,” said Vietnamese Ambassador in India Pham Sanh Chau.
Who are Honorary Consuls?
- Together with diplomatic missions, an honorary consul promotes economic and cultural relations. They are private individuals who take care of their tasks on a part-time basis without remuneration.
- Ministry of External Affairs (MEA)’s approval is essential before the formal appointment. Honorary consuls do not accept passport applications nor do they handle matters pertaining to visas or residence permits. Honorary consuls cannot serve as attorneys in judicial proceedings or as legal advisers.
- Bilateral ties: In a telephonic conversation, Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated Pham Minh Chinh on his appointment as Prime Minister of Vietnam and expressed confidence that the India-Vietnam Comprehensive Strategic Partnership (CSP) will continue to become stronger under his able guidance.
- PM also noted that both India and Vietnam were presently fellow-members of the UN Security Council.
- Both the India and Vietnam also agreed to have various commemorative activities in the year 2022, to mark the 50th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between them.